Sunday, May 11, 2008

Race for the Cure





Saturday those of us who could, participated in the Komen Race for the Cure. We've made this an annual event in our family. Because we lost Kristi, the walk/run has special significance for us. I'm amazed at how many people turn out for event.....they estimated 18,000 people would be there, but I'm sure more than that turned out. Staci and Anne-Marie ran the miles, but Michelle, Jasper and I walked. It was so crowded there was hardly any room to move. I took a picture of the crowd.....thousands in front and thousands in back, but the picture couldn't capture the enormity of it all. They had so many people wanting to put "in memory of" tags on their backs that they ran out. We had to put "in celebration of" for Krisit. But that was OK...we celebrate her!! Afterward we enjoyed going after all the freebies they were handing out!! Yey..what a fun day!
















WE LOVE YOU KRISTI
www.komensic.org


7 comments:

Heather said...

I love the Race for the Cure. I wish I could have been there. I could be wrong, but Ree looks...emotional (?) in that pic. It's an emotional race. I ran it before I knew anyone personally affected by breast cancer and it was emotional then, seeing all of the people running for people they love. Love you!

Miss Stace said...

Anne-Marie was crying the whole time. She would gain her composure and then we'd see something emotional again, and she'd start to cry. At one point we were behind a man holding a woman's hand who was bald and had a "survivor" shirt on it. It was special. It was really special and the whole time we ran I thought of Kristi.

Becky said...

How neat! Wish I could join you all! AM: what a softie!!

Mrs. Bennett said...

I love love love doing race for the cure.

Karen said...

Dang I haven't checked the blog in awhile. This is awesome. I'm so glad that you guys do this. I know how emotional it is, but it's a good emotional. Thanks for keeping her alive.

Tina McKinnon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tina McKinnon said...

I can't believe how emotions can all of a sudden rise up and bite you! I'm sitting here with tears streaming.... Thanks for remembering her... xox