Sunday, March 22, 2009

Nuevo Llamamiento


Some of you may know that Don and I have been called on a part time Welfare Service Mission for our church. As it has turned out, our call is to serve in a Spanish branch in Ogden. At first we thought they'd made a mistake because we don't speak Spanish. But, no, here we are! It is a small branch but the people are very kind and welcoming. I have learned the art of greeting sisters by kissing on the cheek! We have been assigned to the youth who readily speak English and what Spanish I learned in college is coming back.....what a crash course!
We had to Speak in Sacrament Meeting today....what fun! I gave a little of the introduction and read scriptures in Spanish but Staci was my translator for the rest. I'm sure that was a hard job for her but she did a great job. Her dad's talk of course was much harder to translate than my dumb talk but she was a trooper.
On the program we were listed as Hermano y Hermana Maquinan...oh well - close.

4 comments:

Mrs. Bennett said...

Ha! Funny about the names. Can't wait to be there for your next talk.

Tina McKinnon said...

WOW!!! Imagine my surprise (SHOCK!) when I saw you had actually posted on your lonely blog!!!! Way cool!

Also, way cool about the change in your mission... That is exciting that you get to refresh and use your Spanish and that you have built-in translators!!!

This really is exciting... good for you two!

Love you tons!

Miss Stace said...

haha - loved it!! I loved looking into the congregation and watching one family pull out the capri suns during sacrament and pass them around. :)

Heather said...

All I can say is that now you have an idea of what is was like for your daughers in the mission field!